Thursday, May 26, 2016

Sometimes TV Shows Lead to Deep Thinkin'

I was watching a television show the other day and thinking about how much I related to some of the characters. It was an interesting moment because I noticed that I could relate in some way to several of the characters, and then I realized that if I thought about it a bit more I could find a way to relate to ALL of the characters. Which made me realize that I might be able to try doing that with real people. Find commonalities with everyone, when possible. It was reassuring. At first I thought, "I'm not sure I'll be able to manage it with people I find abhorrent (members of hate groups, etc.)" But then it occurred to me that I do know what fear feels like, and that a lot of hate stems from fear, and I felt awful for those people who are so scared that their only recourse is to lash out with hate. (I'm not excusing them, mind, just trying to see the bigger picture.)

No comments:

Post a Comment