Monday, January 18, 2016

Weirdo

As previously mentioned, I don't really fit into my community. I'm sure there are people out there who would think nothing of my habits and preferences, but either they don't live here or they're in hiding. This makes for some awkward social situations. The list is lengthy, but here are a few of the things I don't do that it seems like everyone else around me does:

Drink alcohol or soft drinks
Eat meat or any kind of fast food
Attend church or have strong religious beliefs
Watch violent movies or television shows
Care about sports
Use Facebook

Here's the funny thing: I'm not a quintessential "hippie" type. If you met me, you wouldn't assume that I don't do any of the above. Which is the problem. I look normal. But almost every time I find myself in a social situation, one of the above topics will come up. Someone will ask if I've seen the latest blockbuster movie. Which I haven't. I'll be offered a beverage that I have to decline, and keep declining, because no one can quite grasp that I don't drink anything other than water. Same goes for food. Being vegetarian is practically unheard of in South Carolina. As for Facebook, well, I don't know another single person my age (or most ages) who isn't on Facebook.  

It wasn't intentional, but I've isolated myself. Even family members sometimes say, "God, you're so weird." But despite what angsty teens would have us believe, being a misfit is not cool. It's lonely. Humans are pack animals. We need one another. 

Like-minded people are out there, I know, because I read the internet. I guess that's part of why I started this blog. In the hope that someone might read something here and say, "I get that. Me, too." I don't expect for everyone to be the same, nor am I looking for people who are exactly like me. I'm just looking for a community in which I'm not the "weirdo."  

No comments:

Post a Comment